Laboratory of Wildlife Biology and Medicine, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine
Degree：Ph.D. of Veterinary Medicine
Name of the field：Zoo and Wildlife Medicine
We are performing studies on behavior, reproduction, genetics, infectious diseases and ecology of medium and large wild mammals such as bear, deer, seals and raccoons in Hokkaido. These studies are aimed at conservation medicine and wildlife management with the goal of conserving biodiversity. Physiological and ecological studies of bears are our greatest focus, and understanding their unique mechanism for hibernation and reproduction is a current research theme. Studies on zoonoses, such as tuberculosis of elephants in Nepal and Lyme disease of wildlife in Hokkaido, as their transmission routs concern biodiversity, are also ongoing.
Projects for graduate students
- Promotion of fostering Zoonosis Control Expert
- Promotion of fostering Chemical Hazard Control Expert
- Yanagawa, Y., Matsuura, Y., Suzuki, M., Saga, S., Okuyama, H., Fukui, D., Bandou, G., Katagiri, S., Takahashi, Y. & Tsubota, T.: Fetal age estimation of Hokkaido Sika deer (Cervus nippon yesoensis) using ultrasonography during early pregnancy. J. Reprod. Dev. 55: 143-148, 2009.
- Okano, T., Murase, T., Nakamaura, S., Komatsu, T., Tsubota, T., Asano, M. & Suzuki, M.: Normal sperm morphology and changes of semen characteristics and abnormal morphological spermatozoa among peri-mating seasons in captive Japanese black bears (Ursus thibetanus japonicus). J. Reprod. Dev. 55: 194-199, 2009.
- Nakagawa, E,, Kobayashi, M., Suzuki, M. & Tsubota, T.: Genetic variation in the harbor seal Phoca vitulina and the spotted seal Phoca largha in Hokkaido, based on mitochondrial DNA cytochrome b sequences. Zool. Sci. 27: 263-268, 2010.
- Iibuchi, R.,Shimozuru, M., Kamine, A., Nio-Kobayashi, J., Iwanaga, T. & Tsubota, T.: Localization of five steroidogenic enzyme mRNAs in Japanese black bear (Ursus thibetanus japonicus) testes during the mating season by in situ hybridization. J. Reprod. Dev. 56: 236-242, 2010.
- Yamanaka, A., Asano, M., Suzuki, M., Mizoguchi, T., Oi, T., Shimozuru, M. & Tsubota, T.: Evaluation of stored body fat of nuisance-killed Japanese black bears (Ursus thibetanus japonicus). Zool. Sci. 28: 105-111, 2011.